WordPress has simplified the entire process of setting up websites for any business. No matter what your purpose & niche you’ll find a theme / plugin for it & start sharing your knowledge with anyone and I mean it – anyone; with an internet connection. If you want to create an eLearning site powered by WordPres using its Learning Management System (LMS) then you have stumbled upon a useful blog post because today as we are going to briefly dab into some popular WordPress LMS plugins.
Let’s take a look at some popular WordPress LMS plugins one by one
Created by FlyPlugins WP Courseware is a complete package that will transform your WordPress site into a full-fledged eLearning platform. WP Courseware has been designed to work with any WordPress theme, giving you absolute freedom to create a visually appealing site.
The plugin enables you to create unlimited courses, modules, lessons, quizzes, surveys along with the ability to have unlimited students who can be awarded completion certificates. Use the drag and drop feature to arrange the course and create a course outline using their [shortcodes] or widget. Add grades & marks for lessons, quizzes, & surveys to provide feedback to your students. Choose to set expiration dates for courses & also, offer live learning events.
Integrates with popular eCommerce & membership plugins like WooCommerce, EasyDigitalDownloads, PaidMembershipPro, BuddyPress and many more so you can monetize your eLearning site.
Price: $99 – $175
Another theme independent WordPress LMS plugin is LearnDash. Organize your learning material across 3 levels: courses, lessons, & lesson topics. Manage the progression of students from one level to the next with flexible prerequisites for courses & lessons.
To add to the student’s overall learning experience, you can add assignments for courses & lessons for which the students need to upload to their coursework. View & manually approve assignments to leave them feedback.
Drip-feed your course content to students so that students sign up onto your eLearning site. Another option to monetize your site could be selling access for a one-time fee, or charge your students a subscription fee. LearDash supports some popular payment gateways like Stripe, JigoShop, 2Checkout and more. LearnDash offers various add-ons for integrating some premium features on your eLearning site.
Price: $159 – $329 (Special offer till 31st May, 2016 : $129 – $299)
Sensei is an LMS plugin developed by the WooThemes team who are known for their most popular eCommerce online store builder plugin WooCommerce. Although Sensei is theme independent there are many Sensei-compatible themes custom designed by the WooThemes developers.
Create courses, lessons, and quizzes on your eLearning site with Sensei. Create a set of requisites for lessons or courses that a student has to complete to move on to the next of the courseware. Add question banks to display a random selection when your learners are taking a quiz. Set quizzes to be graded automatically or set them to be graded manually that need to be reviewed by a teacher.
Sensei even provides course analytics which provides you an overview of your site’s content, grades, and registered students. Being integrated with WooCommerce has its own perks for an eLearning system since you can sell your courseware online right from your site.
Price: $129 – $279
LearnPress is a comprehensive WordPress LMS Plugin for WordPress, just like WordPress Moodle or Moodle for WordPress if you know what Moodle is. The plugin can be used to easily create & sell courses online. Designing your courseware (lessons & quizzes) with the easy drag & drop interface is a breeze along with some keyboard shortcuts.
Want to sell your courses online? LearPress is integrated with Paypal & Stripe so you can sell your courses out-of-the-box. You can even integrate LearnPress with WooCommerce with a simple add-on.
LearPress offers around 10 add-ons which can add premium features to your eLearning site. Some of which include myCred, PaidMembershipPro, Content Drip, and many more.
Some free add-ons for LearnPress WordPress LMS Plugin
- LearnPress Wishlist – add courses to a wishlist for students
- LearnPress Course Review – review course for enrolled students
- LearnPress Import/Export – export or import course or courses out-of-box
- LearnPress Prerequisites Courses – require student to pass some courses in order to enroll another course
- LearnPress bbPress Integration – add bbPress Forum support for LearnPress WordPress LMS Plugin.
- LearnPress BuddyPress Integration – add BuddyPress support for LearnPress WordPress LMS Plugin, turn your WordPress BuddyPress website into BuddyPress LMS (BuddyPress Learning Management System)”
Premium add-ons for LearnPress WordPress LMS Plugin
- myCRED add-on for LearnPress – adding myCRED support for LearnPress WordPress LMS plugin, you can add badges, point system to your eLearning WordPress site using LearnPress + myCRED add-on
- Certificates add-on for LearnPress – adding drag & drop certificates builder as well as selecting designed certificate for each LMS course, your student will get particular certificate when they finished a course
- Co-instructors add-on for LearnPress – multiple instructors support for each LMS course
- Collections add-on for LearnPress – making LMS courses collection by selecting number of courses, this is helpful if you want to combine multiple LMS courses into a collection for a group of skills
- Stripe Payment method for LearnPress – Stripe payment method for LearnPress WordPress LMS Plugin
- WooCommerce add-on for LearnPress – using WooCommerce as payment gateway for LearnPress WordPress LMS Plugin
- Content Drip add-on for LearnPress – the feature to restrict the access of student to each lesson by progress, or time
- Sorting Choices question type for LearnPress – another interactive question type for LearnPress
- Base plugin – Free
- Add-ons ~$19.99 – $39.99 each
- Bundle of all add-ons – $299
When talking about WordPress products it is really difficult to judge a winner since the criteria for using a plugin / theme varies from person to person. Although I have listed free as well as premium WordPress LMS plugins you can choose from various add-ons for each plugin to mold your eLearning site into the best learning platform there is that people will flock to for knowledge.